Monday, July 7, 2008

A Brother killed with a flintlock

I was able to get a groundhog a few weeks ago with my flintlock. I had been after this ground hog for probably a week. He had eluded me and a friend for days and gave us much trouble. Then, one day I went and hunted by myself, the way I like it. I started to the field where we'd seen him 3 or 4 times, as i met the grass i saw his head stick up. I stopped quickly and got on my stomach. This was a smart ground pig. I peeked up again and saw he was gone. "Dang it" i said to myself. But then i saw his head again. "Okay", now i knew the grass was high enough for me to stalk through and stalk i did. I kept a patch of grass covering him so he would not see my slight movement. I got to within 40 or 50 yards and stopped. i could see his head and i put the front sight down below his head, cocked the hammer, set the second trigger and fired, "BOOM"! went the flintlock firing perfectly. i ran through the burnt blackpowder smoke to see if i'd killed him. there he lay not moving. As i went to grab my prize he quickly jumped into his hole. i reached down and grabbed him and pulled him up as he died in my grasp. a brother gone from the woods, hide to be used along with intestine for wrapping on arrowheads to arrow...

No comments: